Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Swiper No Swiping...in fact don't even visit our house!


My daughter loves the TV show Dora the Explorer. I cannot remember how this happened. I am a bit cynical that marketing companies have just done some research to find out what words are easiest for infants to spout out. I know both my kids were able to say "Elmo" and "Dora" before they could say "Grandma" or "Grandpa". Since we are so overjoyed that the babes are actually conversing that perhaps as new parents we actually think they know they want to watch this TV show or play with that toy. But I digress...
My daughter turned 2 and since the only thing she seems to be interested in is Dora we had a Dora themed party. Complete with a spanish menu. The party went well and my toddler seemed to love being surrounded by Dora.
For my son and the other 3-6 year old guests I had planned a treasure hunt. Since reading is not yet a skill that has been acquired by all of this preschool set I had taken pictures of places in the house where they would get their next clue. Keeping with the theme of the party the reason for the hunt was because the wily fox character aptly named "Swiper" had taken the game prize box. The kids liked the game and actually were disappointed when they found the treasure since they had liked the competitive nature of pushing each other to get the next "clue" (picture). Nothing seemed amiss - the party continued - gifts were opened - cake was enhaled.
Hours after the guests left I was tucking my 4 year old into bed. He was very serious. "Mommy is Swiper still in the house? I don't want him in our house""How did Swiper get those pictures? Why would he do that?". My son seemed quite perturbed. He wouldn't really listen when I explained that it was mommy who made the game and Swiper wasn't real.
The next day he was better. "Daddy - we really should have left Swiper one of the prizes"

No comments:

Post a Comment